Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Life With Two Carry-Ons

For the past three years, Jammahs has been on the road..and not in the fun Jack Kerouac way or the way that we were on the road back in the summers of our teen tour days. I've been working at a job with a really, really long commute. My shortest commute has been 3 hours and the longest came in at 17 hours (door-to-door). This isn't a one time thing...imagine this commute repeated every Monday and Thursday for an indefinite amount of time. With the commute and hotel living you then factor in the surprise flight delays, sitting on the runway, aircraft equipment issues, obese seat neighbors, talkers (the worst of all flight companions), middle seats, non exit rows, Vital/Evil Car Service, the bad hotel room, bugs in your hotel room, hotel rooms bigger than your apartment (somewhat depressing) no MTV in your hotel room, turbulence, extreme turbulence that ends up on the nightly news, security pat downs, TSA prison...the list goes on and on...Don't mean to be a downer, there are a lot of perks to travel life such as, hotel points, hotel status, airplane points, airplane status, concierge floor w/ endless supply of free diet cokes, road boyfriends who like the fact that you live in a hotel, chocolate on your pillow, someone to make your bed and turn it down at night, clean sheet day everyday, a minibar (although lacking in twizzlers), team dinners (both good and bad), never having to learn how to cook..and points, points, points...and status, status, status...it gets addictive.

It's with much regret that this is the first of my blogs. I think that I would have enjoyed sharing my travel adventures with all of you in real-time. It definitely would have given me something to do during 4 hour delays on the runway bedsides reading US Weekly for the 20th time (because who are we kidding, that takes about 10 minutes to read). So, unlike other bloggers (like the talented blogger of 'thingsthatblowmymind') who post as things happen, this one will be more retroactive...but, I think in a way, it's somewhat nice to have taken time to reflect on my travels and really have life on the road sink in. I mean, you'll get to hear about the day when I wake up and say holy crap, I lived in Boise for 4 months. Or, yipppeee, I"ve made it to ONE MILLION hilton points...one million more and I get to cash in for a night on the town with Paris, Nikki, Tinkerbell and Kevin Connelly. Or, I can't believe that I had a flight delay for three hours because the toilet overflowed and leaked into the aisle (yes, that really did happen).

You must be wondering with all this travel and work, how I have the time to blog. Well, the job, with all it's traveling woes, has this thing called "on the beach". This is when a person isn't staffed and is in their home office/apartment/on the beach/anywhere in the world waiting to be staffed and put back on the road. This is what gets me through the rough traveling days...the glimmer of hope that sometime soon I will be on the beach..sitting on my couch, in my flip flops and pjammahs, working my way through DVR, watching reruns of Dawsons, blogging and finally, yes, finally, unpack and put away my two carry-ons (at least for this week).

Safe travels,
Jammahs

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this works out Jammahs...do I get a shout out or a cut of your millions....
oxox

7/19/2006 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammahs, so glad that you are sharing your travel stories, the world needs to hear from Jammahs! Don't forget to share your wisdom on the Delta Shuttle line, middle seats, talkers and the art of the upgrade. Love ya, Sugah

7/19/2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jahms, CC Dahling here. You missed your calling, you should be a writer! I can't wait to read your entries, b/c you are the funniest writer I know. Love you dahling!!

7/19/2006 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammahs = funny! I can't adequately express how happy I am to add another site to my morning routine of cnn, gmail, hotmail, perezhilton and socialitelife.
- LC

7/19/2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jams,

Excellent writing!

Can't wait to read the continuing episodes.

SQ

7/21/2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

8/10/2006 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

8/16/2006 5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

American Singles Dating
American Singles Dating