Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sky v. Road



Sure, we’ve all studied the pivotal cases of the American legal system…Roe v. Wade; Brown v. Board of Ed…but, it’s the cases within Jammahs’ life that hold the most importance to me. There was the great debate of vanilla tootsie v. twizzler (twizzler); flats v. kitten heels (flats are more in style these days); Marriott v. Hilton v. Starwood (Hilton); chemically straighten hair v. natural curly locks (curly); window v. aisle (window); exit row v. first class upgrade (exit row if flight is under 3 hours); T. Blake v. M. Bryan (not that picky on that one); honey mustard v. balsamic vinaigrette (honey mustard); tall boys v. boys my height or shorter (tall) …and the newest debate:

**Road Warrior of the Sky v. Road Warrior of the Road**

I’ve always classified myself as a Road Warrior of the Sky. Despite all the bitching I do about flying (Turbulence, Talkers and TSA), I really love traveling via the big metal taxi in the sky. There’s something exciting about it. There are so many question marks that make it sort of fun.…Will Vital be on time? Will I make the flight? Will I get a good rental car at the airport? Will I be next to a Travel Rookie and get to make fun of them in my head for the duration of the flight? Will the flight leave on time? Will I ever make it home in time for Grey’s Anatomy? Will TSA bust me for having too many liquids? Will my bag fit in the overhead if I just expand it a little bit? Will there be a cute boy in a blue button down sitting next to me?

I grew to love the Monday morning nap on the plane—falling asleep to the soothing sound of Adam Duritz. I like staring out at puffy clouds. I like seeing the aerial view of my college and grad school campus and reminiscing about days of sitting on the Steps. I look for my dorms and for 540 W. 114th St. I like wondering how the plane stays in the air. I like the diet coke with ice in the little plastic cup and the H&H bagel on the Delta Shuttle. I like calculating how many miles I’m earning on the flight. I like seeing if there are passengers with ABC Consulting laptop bags. I like the challenge of balancing the diet coke can between my body and the arm rest. I like having time for my hobby—sitting. Sitting and thinking. Sitting and thinking and blogging (sorry fans, I know, I’ve been slacking).

But, ever since my last assignment of driving to work, I’ve learned of the benefits of automobile travel. There are a few drawbacks—like no Monday morning nap, Holland Tunnel traffic and big trucks. But, the perks….endless: unlimited carry-ons, unlimited bottles of liquids above 3.11, control of take-off and landing time, no turbulence. No Talkers. Complete silence, if I choose.

I like that I can use the travel time to catch up with friends on the phone. I like the views at zero feet—pretty scenery of the PA mountains, farms, horses, cows, green trees, corn fields (picture taken when stopped in traffic). I like the rest stops. I like my friends at the Dunkin' Donuts on Exit 13 in PA. They know me. They give me extra munchkins because “I look like I could use them”. On that note, I like how I’m the skinniest person in the world in Random Town off the Highway, PA. I invested in an iPod player for the car and have a new hobby—singing. I sing for 3.5 hours straight. It’s wonderful and fun. I like not being stressed about unexpected turbulence. I like seeing the progress of the road work. I like not worrying about the weather on Monday morning and Thursday afternoon (eventhough my Mom still does). I like being in charge of my own schedule. I like avoiding plane germs. I like stopping for a restroom, not having to use the nasty lavatory. I like popping into the Short Hills Mall on the way home. I like seeing the signs on the side of the highway—New York City 183 miles…98 miles…30 miles…11 miles… I like knowing that I’m making progress. Sometimes I feel like planes don’t really move and just fly in the same spot.

The jury is still out on whether Jammahs has officially made the switch. But, with my reign as Road Warrior of American Airlines and the Universe up in January, it could be the right time to apply for the title of Road Warrior of the Road.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen B said...

Yep, it is definitely a toss-up on air vs road. My favorite perk of road is that my dogs can comfortably (and cheaply) come along on the trip!

And after going through 2 air trips with my husband (mostly a travel rookie) and then 2 road trips all within about 6 weeks, I was happy to not have to deal with plastic bags of liquids on the road trips!

10/12/2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger Kim Thomas said...

"I like how I’m the skinniest person in the world in Random Town off the Highway, PA."

This is the funniest comment I have read in weeks.

10/25/2007 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

American Singles Dating
American Singles Dating