Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Happy Place

Something happens to the inner workings of Jammahs’ mind between the Monday of Memorial Day weekend and the final Sunday of the US Open—it just shuts down. I think that growing up I was so programmed to make it through the school year to June and then let loose when it was time for camp. I haven’t really let go of that. Part of me still expects the yellow school bus to come pick me up for Jeff Lakes Camp or for my Mom to ask for help packing the camp trunk. Combine this mystery effect with being on the beach for the past few weeks and, well, I haven’t been doing much of anything, let alone turning on my computer to blog about traveling. In the past few weeks, the most traveling I have done is on the LIE to the beach or on the 4/5 to the Upper East Side.

My work day starts out with Dawson’s on TBS and ends with the OC on the Soap Network. Throw in the French Open and the start of Grass season, some long lunches, yoga, random errands, sitting in the park, conference calls with Kets, afternoon naps and matinee movies and, well, my days have been too busy to blog. And, MTB 4 just started! Sorry, faithful fans.

Well, that’s one giant reason as to why I have been so neglectful of MLWTCO. The other reason: I’ve been in my happy place. I booked an AAdvantage miles roundtrip ticket to Europe and I’m in a Regular Row. GASP. SHOCK. DREAD. The reigning Road Warrior of AA is sitting 7 hours in Regular Row. It’s just wrong. I don’t even fly Regular Row on domestic flights. But, it didn’t seem worth 40,000 extra miles to sit in Business Row Window and there aren’t any Exit Row seats available.

So, in preparation for this trip, I have been in my own zone of deep breathes, yoga stretches and regularly schedule visits to my happy place. And, I have been practicing my happy place chant, “you’re going to Wimbledon. You’re going to Wimbledon.” And, I have been testing my Juicys to find the softest and most comfortable for this journey. It will well be worth it though when I meet my favorite brother of a tennis player and have tea with Prince Harry.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammahs, the regular row to Europa is just too painful to process. Been blocking it from my mind as well. Just not sure that trusty neck roll and ipod slow mix are going to do the trick. Keep checking AA.com, maybe better seats will be revealed...

6/20/2007 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PP, you said neck roll...is Jammahs' going to give in and get a neck roll?!
What about Prince William? Nice tall English boys. 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 4 as Matt Lauer recently informed me!
Pack a big lunch, English food is yucko.

6/21/2007 7:24 AM  
Blogger Jammahs said...

Yes, I also watched the ML interview with the Princes. I like Prince Harry better...like his hair and he's sort of a wise ass. And, he's in the military...Jammahs supports the Troop(s).

I will not be bringing a neck roll. However, I am sure that Travel Rookie Sister will be bringing more than one roll, so I can borrow one of hers if things get desperate!

6/21/2007 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so now Jammahs wants sister's neck roll? I don't think so...Jam cannot mock the neck roll and then reap the travel benefits of the neck roll. But it is true--sister has at least 4 neck rolls (variety of colors needed to match my airplane sweats)

6/23/2007 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jammahs,

I hope you got debenture tix to Wimbledon, because then you can go to the Clubhouse and eat strawberries and cream until you are sick. Also, do bring an umbrella, as wimbledon often gets rained out, and of course, drink lots of Pimms. You can hardly tell it's alcoholic it's so perfect at Wimbledon.

If you need to shop in London, do hit Topshop for fun cheap accessories that are way aheady of the US fashion curve, Reiss (which does have a US branch) and Whistles, which carries great stuff for tall ladies, including jackets with arms that are long enough. Jigsaw also cuts their things long. Also, LK Bennett has smashingly adorable work and cas shoes, which are available in larger Euro sizes (41-42). No shopping should be done until the July sales--it will ALL be on sale come 1 July, so wait!

Enjoy! I haven't lived in Blighty for a few years, but you can def rack up some serious shopping bills over there, even with sales. And then for the next two years, everyone will tell you how cute you are and "where did you get that" and you will still be in style 4 seasons later because you are ahead of the curve.

Avoid Harrods and Selfridges at all costs. Too crowded. And find a Spa.ceNK for amazing products.

6/24/2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger Jammahs said...

Thanks, Anonymous for the shopping tips and of course for the Wimbledon suggestions. Sooo excited to go!

We haven't been able to find Debenture tixs that aren't out of control in price, so we may wing it and wait on the line for grounds passes. Any suggestions?

6/25/2007 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting in line is a Euphemism for getting in line at 4am. If you are a chump and wait for the tube to run and then the half hour ride out to Wimbledon, half of England will be in line before you. Check the Wimbledon website. The neighbors don't want you waiting outside, but everyone goes, literally at 4am. You will be sitting for most of the day or moving from court to court, so you can be tired.

To effectively get there super-early, make sure your hotel books a driver or a cab. (Driver might be best as Wimbledon is FAAAAAR and the taxi meter clicks quickly.)

Debenture tixs are really, really expensive, and sadly, non-refundable, which is a big bummer if the rain comes. That's why strategically shooting for a sunny-ish day is best.

Also, going earlier in the tourney is more fun b/c then you can go watch up-and-comers really close on the side courts. When I went, we say Maria Sharapova, and my tennis guide-friend said, "Mark my words, she's gonna be a star!" Well, five years on and he was right.

So, sadly you will have to get up v. early for Wimbledon. However, if you hardly adjust from the time change, consider it a fun adventure.....

6/26/2007 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

American Singles Dating
American Singles Dating