Monday, March 12, 2007

Double Beds

I checked in way too late. I knew that it was getting late and my room assignment was in jeopardy, especially since the hotel was over-sold tonight. But, I had to work late, go to Whole Foods for water (they have seemed to have run out of water at the work cafeteria) and dinner, eat dinner in the Avis mid size rental, pick up my bag from storage at the Hyatt that I stayed at last week, make a pit stop at CVS for twizzlers and stand on line at CVS for 8 minutes and think that although the line is moving slowly, it’s still faster than Duane Reade on 14th Street. I was ready to go to the hotel at that point, but the magnetic force of the White Flint Mall (http://www.shopwhiteflint.com/) was pulling me closer and closer…I was in the right lane, the Marriott is towards the left—there was nothing I could do. It was fate. And, so I also made a pit stop at the WFM. It’s no SHM, but it does the trick for some retail therapy after a long Travel Day Monday. And, so I finally reached the Front Desk at 9:35pm.

Check-In Man: Can I help you?

Jammahs: Checking in. The last name is Jammahs.

Welcome back, Ms. Jammahs.


Jammahs thinks: Oh, Check In Man. I said thank you, but I know the system far too well. I know that you don’t recognize me, rather you have on your computer screen that I’m a returning guest. It’s only Recognition on the Road when you don’t have to ask for me last name and license.

CIM says: Here you are, room 211 for 3 nights.

Jammahs says: Oh, just wanted to check that it’s a King room.

CIM: Yes, it is. It’s a King Bed. (reluctant pause) It’s an accessible room.

Jam: Ohhhhh. If you don’t mind, I’d rather not stay there. I just feel that those rooms should be reserved for the handicap and I don’t require that type of room.


CIM types on his computer.


CIM: Ok, how about the first floor?

Jam (in a sweet way, where I totally got away with only sounding slightly insane): I know this sounds silly, but I’m really scared to stay on the first floor. There could be intruders, robbers…you just never know. My Mom doesn’t let me stay on the first floor.

And, so I’m in a double bed room for the 2nd time at the Marriott . That’s what you get for not having status and checking in when everyone else is almost lights out.

The thing is about double bed rooms, is that they make you long for your sister or your friends or even the strange girl who you were forced to share a room with on the Future Business Leaders of American conference in high school. She was strange—she slept in her jeans and sneakers. Sware to g od. Double bed rooms are meant to have a minimum of 2, a maximum of 4—maybe 5 with a roll-a-way. You stay in double bed rooms on vacation, Spring Break, teen tours—not when you are traveling for work. That extra bed just sits empty, mocking you and your loner lifestyle of MLWTCO. And, each bed is smaller than your bed at home—it’s almost like college living revisited—sleeping on a twin size bed in your dorm room. It just cramps your style...

On top of all of that, Jammahs is really indecisive and two beds presents me with a decision that I have to make. Close to the window…or close to the bathroom. They both look snuggly. I wish my sister was here to politely ask, "Jam, which bed do you want..." and, while I’m surveying the options…she always says, "I call this bed". It helps to have someone in charge.

On the bright side though, you have a place to throw all the stuff from your carry-ons. And, an extra selection of pillows. And, the promise that next week, you’re somewhat witty banter/annoying check in procedure with CIM will have earned you a King size bed. Only time will tell, my faithful readers…only time will tell.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which bed did you pick, Jam? Always pick the bed by the bathroom, that way the robbers can't get you when they enter. That's why sister always chooses the bed by the window, to protect the little Jammahs.

3/13/2007 6:36 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

i choose the bed closest to the bathroom!

3/13/2007 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When alone, I always choose the bed closest to the bathroom and farthest from the window (robber entrance). But, if staying with someone else, I've been known to choose the bed by the window (false sense of security).

#3

3/14/2007 1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammahs - so glad to hear you are back on the road. It is of course where a Road Warrior is meant to be. I am a fellow Road Warrior like yourself and have enjoyed your blog since your nom in American Way. I am now in NYC and have missed a flight for the first time due to an unreliable car service - are you willing to share Vital as I will be flying opposite of you?

3/15/2007 12:49 PM  
Blogger Jammahs said...

Jina, thanks for being a fan of MLWTCO.

For so many reasons, you want to stay as far away from Vital as possible!

3/20/2007 4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

American Singles Dating
American Singles Dating