My Life Without Housekeeping
A fellow Road Warrior once said, "Monday through Thursday, I'm treated like a Prince. Then I go home." Wise, wise words uttered by a wise, wise man. Jammahs can totally relate.
My apartment is a total mess. It's been lived-in since early August. There's lots of dust and clothes piles and food in the fridge and, the rare notion that someone actually lives in this 280 sqf East and West Wing rectangle more than 3 days a week. I'm actually thinking about buying a microwave. If only I could dial "0" or push the pretty little button on the phone that has a picture of a housekeeper on it. I miss hotels. Or, maybe I just miss housekeeping and room service and billing to an expense account. I miss having a bed being made every day. With the corner tucked in tight. And, a chocolate on my pillow and slippers set out by my bed. It's cold in the East Wing (the wing with the window). I could use some soft slippers on a white little mat. Conrad (www.conradhotels.com), you rocked.
Or, maybe I just wish that I could press a button and have my apartment cleaned instead of the 12-step process that it takes to call Peggy, leave Peggy a message, have Peggy call back, take money out of the ATM for Peggy, place money on kitchen table, tell doorman that Peggy will need the key, fill out form for Peggy to get key. Peggy talks Peggylish. And, even when Peggy is due to spruce up the Wings, I'm cleaning up before it's cleaned. What BS.
Why is it that when I'm at a hotel, I always request new towels? You know, there's that program that Hilton and Marriott run that if you want to keep the planet evniromentally sound, you can hang up your towels on the rack. Towels placed the floor mean that you want new towels restocked on the racks. Each morning or night, I always pile my towels on the floor. Why is that? Maybe it's because it's 60 degrees in NYC in December...I mean, what's the point? The world is exploding, I may as well get clean towels. The strange things is, I definitely don't use new towels every day at home. In fact, I don't think that I even own a washcloth. I use those loofah sponge thingys.
Living in a hotel is escaping reality. I'm like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman--shacking up at the Reg. Bev. Wil. But, I don't have that fun shopping spree in Rodeo Drive. And, I'm not a hooker. So, essentially, for the past 4 years, I've escaped the reality of making my bed, cleaning towels, buying toilet paper, subscribing to a newspaper, making coffee, using shampoo/conditioner in large bottles...
Having been local since August, I now think about things like turning the lights on/off when I leave my room. And, that I need to make my bed in the morning. Or, I need to call days in advance for a Housekeeper. And that I should buy snacks and diet coke in advance b/c the fridge isn't magically restocked every day. It's amazing how attached you become to Road Warrior life and how hard it is to adjust to being a "civilian". ABC Consulting, a word with you please...it's wrong to cut Jammahs off cold turkey. Every Consultant deserve an adjustment period. Or maybe just a gift card to FreshDirect.com and MaidForYouNY.com
My apartment is a total mess. It's been lived-in since early August. There's lots of dust and clothes piles and food in the fridge and, the rare notion that someone actually lives in this 280 sqf East and West Wing rectangle more than 3 days a week. I'm actually thinking about buying a microwave. If only I could dial "0" or push the pretty little button on the phone that has a picture of a housekeeper on it. I miss hotels. Or, maybe I just miss housekeeping and room service and billing to an expense account. I miss having a bed being made every day. With the corner tucked in tight. And, a chocolate on my pillow and slippers set out by my bed. It's cold in the East Wing (the wing with the window). I could use some soft slippers on a white little mat. Conrad (www.conradhotels.com), you rocked.
Or, maybe I just wish that I could press a button and have my apartment cleaned instead of the 12-step process that it takes to call Peggy, leave Peggy a message, have Peggy call back, take money out of the ATM for Peggy, place money on kitchen table, tell doorman that Peggy will need the key, fill out form for Peggy to get key. Peggy talks Peggylish. And, even when Peggy is due to spruce up the Wings, I'm cleaning up before it's cleaned. What BS.
Why is it that when I'm at a hotel, I always request new towels? You know, there's that program that Hilton and Marriott run that if you want to keep the planet evniromentally sound, you can hang up your towels on the rack. Towels placed the floor mean that you want new towels restocked on the racks. Each morning or night, I always pile my towels on the floor. Why is that? Maybe it's because it's 60 degrees in NYC in December...I mean, what's the point? The world is exploding, I may as well get clean towels. The strange things is, I definitely don't use new towels every day at home. In fact, I don't think that I even own a washcloth. I use those loofah sponge thingys.
Living in a hotel is escaping reality. I'm like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman--shacking up at the Reg. Bev. Wil. But, I don't have that fun shopping spree in Rodeo Drive. And, I'm not a hooker. So, essentially, for the past 4 years, I've escaped the reality of making my bed, cleaning towels, buying toilet paper, subscribing to a newspaper, making coffee, using shampoo/conditioner in large bottles...
Having been local since August, I now think about things like turning the lights on/off when I leave my room. And, that I need to make my bed in the morning. Or, I need to call days in advance for a Housekeeper. And that I should buy snacks and diet coke in advance b/c the fridge isn't magically restocked every day. It's amazing how attached you become to Road Warrior life and how hard it is to adjust to being a "civilian". ABC Consulting, a word with you please...it's wrong to cut Jammahs off cold turkey. Every Consultant deserve an adjustment period. Or maybe just a gift card to FreshDirect.com and MaidForYouNY.com


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home