Thursday, July 31, 2008

In-Flight Shower

Jammahs thinks that in-flight activities should be restricted to sitting, reading watching, listening, snacking, drinking and napping. Just the basics. Nothing fancy. Nothing too crazy.

If the fasten seatbelt sign is off and there has not been turbulence for at least 8-10 minutes, I will get out of my seat, but that is on a rare, rare occasion. In all my years of Road Warrior travels, I think I’ve used the lavatory less than 3 times during a flight. For real. I’ve made it to Europe and back, multiple times, without ever taking off my seatbelt. It’s not that I’m proud of this accomplishment, it’s more that it’s just a fact. I think it’s a combination of fear of unexpected turbulence and the lavatory germs that keep me in my seat.

So, I am most disturbed by this recent article in the NYTimes. Headline: “An Airline Outfitted to Wash, Rinse and Repeat”. Here’s all you really need to read:

When Emirates begins service on its new A380 between New York and Dubai on Friday, the superjumbo airliner will offer a feature previously found only on the highest-end business jets: bathrooms with showers in first class.

I think it’s wrong, on so many levels, to shower in-flight. It just leaves so many unanswered questions. My mind is racing at 885 km/hr.

• Isn’t it too cold to shower on a plane?
• Will the towels be as “clean” as the blankets?
• Will there be robes, flip-flops, slippers, hair dryers, products?
• Can you plug in a hair dryer?
• Is there a new soap for each person?
• Is there a separate changing area by the shower?
• Why can’t you wait until landing (like at the club lounge) to shower?
• How loud will the shower be? Will other passengers hear it?
• Will the shower be available only at certain times?
• Will the Talker next to you say, hey, be back, I’m going to shower?
• Will you really want to Talk to the Talker about his/her shower? Isn’t that sort of a private thing?
• What happens if there is turbulence while showering?
• Are the Flight Attendants responsible for helping you with the shower?
• How will the Travel Rookies ever figure out the shower? They can’t even figure out the bathroom lock.

4 Comments:

Blogger Queen B said...

This is really disturbing. First let me say, though, that I am really impressed with your single digit number of trips to the lavatory while en route. The things disgust the heck out of me, but for some reason lately I always end up making a trip in there. ugh.

Yes, showers on planes is a bad idea. I barely have enough room in the current lavatory to take an effective pee. I cannot imagine how I would be able to shower in such a tiny space. It all just seems ridiculous with gas costs/flight costs the way they are now. And, yeah, what are they going to do about towels?!

7/31/2008 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EW!

8/01/2008 7:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jammahs, this is THE most hilar post yet. An in-flight shower makes me want to retch.

xo,
Amber

8/07/2008 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jammahs, we miss you. please share some of your witty insight soon.
If you don't have travel stories, perhaps your view on the election? You work in healthcare, who's your choice?

9/28/2008 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

American Singles Dating
American Singles Dating